Friday, January 22, 2010

My 14 year old dachshund has no bladder control....?

I have a dachshund who just turned 14. He doesn't do anything really accept for sleep (I know, he's old). But my real concern is, he has absolutely no control of his bladder anymore. He can be walking and all of a sudden he starts to pee in the house WHILE he's walking. I've had to wake up multiple times in the night to change my sheets just because he pees in his sleep (he sleeps with me). My parents came over yesterday and Bailey peed on my stepdad's lap. I got him a crate for night times, but he is so used to sleeping in bed with me that he screams and I live in a apartment, so I have to take him out before he wakes everyone up (He pees in the crate too.) He just can't seem to hold it anymore. I take him outside whenever I can (I'm in college during the day and work every other day at night) and he still pees everywhere. Is this related to his age, or do I need to take him to the vet again, he was just there a few weeks ago and nothing was wrong. Is there any sort of doggy diaper I can get for him, cause this is just really bad, and after he pees, he huddles in a corner like I'm going to beat him, it breaks my heart...My 14 year old dachshund has no bladder control....?
A friend of mine is a vet tech with a dachsie just like yours - she has put him on a medicine that helps somewhat, when that fails there are injections of testosterone that sometimes help a male dog's weak bladder.





When that fails, there are doggie diapers that work just fine.





Please don't give up on our dog. First thing is to rule out a urinary tract infection or kidney problem - take him to the vet for tests. The vet will be able to tell you what meds will help.





Get going, there's no reason for you and your dachsie to be miserable like this.





My 14 year old dachshund has no bladder control....?
I have a 12 year old with the same problem. It is a common problem with older pets. My vet gave me some pills for my dog called ';Proin';. They cost $25 for a 30 day supply. He gets one a day in the morning. They work very well and he doesn't leak at all anymore. Ask your vet about this product, and good luck!
when he sleeps, put a puppy pad underneath him before you put him to bed. tell him you love him when he has a accident and hold him and kiss him. :D


he might have kidney or bladder problems, take him to the vet to get him checked out.
Add to the above suggestions: could also be a problem with his back. A bulging disc (which doxies are prone to) can put pressure on a nerve thus causing urinary incontinence. See a vet to be sure he isn't in pain.





Good luck!



im really really really sorry but my grandfathers dog wld always peee inside and he was old and he died so i hope your dog doesnt and i hope this doesnt mean yours wll die like my grandfather poor dog did
it might be that he is so old but it also might be that he has a utc i would take him tot he vet to find out
It can just happen with old age; but I would recommend taking him to the Vet. We had a female Dachshund and she was in fine health until she seemed to have lost her bladder also. The exact same issues as you, she didn't even realize she was peeing until she felt the wetness, she was completely depressed at that point because she would never pee in the house. We contacted the Vet. and they said to buy diapers and that it happens, reduce her water consumption to control it, etc. It began to get worse and we were unsatisfied with that answer, so we took her to another Vet., spent a lot of money on X-Rays, etc. Finally after taking her to a third Vet. she was diagnosed with Cushions Disease. It's common in older dogs and I would really recommend getting him checked out.





I hope that helps. We had to put our dog to sleep because it was so advanced and treatment is very complicated.
This is very sad, but very common and I am sorry. Most dogs do feel embarrassed because they know better but they are older and cannot help it.





That being said YES there are doggy diapers you can get.





There are diapers called ';seasonals'; you can find in your pet store made for dogs in heat but you can put adult diaper pads in them.





You can also try adult diapers (or baby diapers depending on size) and cut a hole in them for the tail.





Sorry, I hope this helps a little.
I would try another vet. It could be bladder or urinary infection, or kidney problems. Sometimes in older dogs they have incontinence and something like Proin could help build the bladder.

No comments:

Post a Comment